Do you run out of inspiration when it comes to lunch prep? If you are looking for a healthy recipe for quick and healthy lunches, you have to try cooking chickpea vegan patty. Not only will this recipe not break your bank, the leftovers can be transformed into brand new meals.
Lunch prep made easy
If you are like me, you like to lunch prep on Sunday night to get ready for your week (and be free on week nights – Yeah more “me time” for us!).
One of the reasons why I like to cook chickpea vegan patties is that they can have multiple uses. Here are my favorite options :
- Crumbled in tomato sauce with pasta
- Over a salad full of yummy vegetables
- Crumbled in a chili
- Used as a meat alternative in tacos or quesadillas
- Crumbled on top of a pizza
Eating Healthy – at a good price!
For this week’s blog, I’ll share with you my chickpea vegan patty pita sandwich recipe. The ingredients will only cost you $4.81 for an average of 5 to 6 patties (which means 3-4 pita pockets). Who said healthy food has to be expensive? Save your bucks!
Moreover, the leftovers can easily be converted into a delicious salad.
Ingredient list cost breakdown by portion
- Organic chickpea can : $1.75
- Parsley : $1.99, 0.33 cents by portion
- Red onion : $1.19 , 0.15 cents by portion
- Indian spice mix : $3.99, 25 cents by portion
- Flour : $2.89, 2 cents by portion
- Water : free 🙂
- A bag of pita bread : $2.99, 60 cents by portion
- Garlic hummus : $3.99, 0.75 cents by portion
- 1 tomato : $0.55 ea. 0.28 cents by portion
- 1 cucumber : $1.49 ea. 0.28 cents by portion
- 1 head of lettuce : $2.99 ea. 0.50 cents by portion
I hope this post has inspired you. If you give this chickpea vegan patty recipe a try, please share your thoughts and opinions in the comment box below. I would love to hear from you.
Enjoy your week xx
- 1 can, chickpeas (398ml)
- 1 handful, parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp, red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp Indian spices (you can use cumin, I like to use a tandoori mix made of cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper)
- 2 tbsp, flour
- 1 tbsp, water
- 2 whole wheat pita breads, cut in half
- Garlic hummus, spread, to taste
- Tomatoes, sliced, to garnish
- Cucumbers, sliced, to garnish
- Lettuce of your choice, shredded, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- In a food processor, place the chickpeas, spices, water and flour.
- Blend until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the onion and parsley.
- Mix well.
- Shape the mixture in small patties (5-6 patties).
- Place the patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cook the chickpea vegan patties for about 20 minutes then turn them with a spatula and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the patties from the oven and let them cool down.
- Assemble the pita sandwiches : spread the hummus inside each pita pocket.
- Add the patties and garnish with the tomato, cucumber slices and lettuce.