Do you enjoy having vegan brunch with your friends or family? Sometimes it’s great to take the time to cook and eat a big savoury breakfast at home. Because vegans exclude eggs and dairy from their plates, it can be hard to find cooking inspirations. If you are looking for the perfect vegan brunch idea, check out my Tex-Mex scramble tofu, topped with cherry tomato salsa and served with roasted sweet potatoes. A real breakfast of champions!
This simple vegan brunch can be prepared in 3 easy steps:
1. Prepare the potatoes
You can’t pass on breakfast potatoes if you’re having a brunch. Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside… these will be a delicious side dish to every breakfast.
You can use whatever kind of potatoes you have on hand. A pinch of salt and pepper will be enough to give them flavor but if you’re are looking for an extra little something, here are some seasoning ideas:
- Garlic powder + onion powder + paprika
- Salt + fresh grounded pepper + rosemary
- Brown sugar + cinnamon + salt + pepper
- Chili powder + cumin + salt + pepper
2. Spice up your meal with fresh salsa
If you are not a big fan of spicy food you might want to skip this step but if you can handle a little spicy,go along with the salsa. It will add a kick to the whole meal! You won’t regret it.
Friendly tips : After cutting the hot pepper, you seriously don’t want to rub your eyes by accident. Make sure you wash your hands.
3. Get ready for the main course
This is the last step. Scramble the tofu, add some spices and cook slowly so it doesn’t stick to your pan. You will be amazed at how the texture and the color look just like eggs… and what can we say about the taste? DELICIOUS!
I hope you enjoy this Tex–Mex scramble tofu, I’m sure all your family and friends will love this vegan brunch idea. If you give it a try, let me know in the reply box below. I would love to hear from you!
- FOR THE BREAKFAST POTATOES
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- your choice of seasoning (see suggested mixes in the post)
- salt and pepper
- FOR THE CHERRY TOMATO SALSA
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- a pinch of salt
- FOR THE SCRAMBLE TOFU
- 1 bloc of organic, non-GMO extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, onion and seasoning
- Toss the potatoes on a baking pan
- Coat cherry tomatoes with olive oil and a pinch of salt and toss on the baking pan
- Bake the cherry tomatoes for 15 minutes
- Shake the pan and continue to bake the potatoes for 20 minutes or until crispy
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the cherry tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice and salt.
- Mix well and set aside
- In a bowl, combine the tofu, cumin, tumeric, nutritional yeast and salt
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat
- Add the olive oil and garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add the tofu mixture and cook slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- If the tofu sticks to your pan, add a little bit of water
- Serve the scramble tofu with the breakfast potatoes and salsa