Have you noticed the new poke bowl trend? While it seems to be the new kid on the block, poke has been a traditional Hawaiian dish for centuries. Originally, pokes were made of marinated raw fish. Now, in this blog we give the classic recipe a modern twist by making it vegan friendly. Are you ready to build the perfect vegan poke bowl? Let’s start the creative process!
Vegan Poke Bowl step 1 : Choose Your Base
For the base of your vegan poke bowl you can opt for either white or brown rice, quinoa, vermicelli or mixed greens.
I personally love quinoa because of its protein, fiber and iron count. Still, I like to switch things up from time to time and use soba noodle, jasmine rice or arugula. Not only is it fun to add variety to our diet but also eating different foods provides different nutrients to our body.
Vegan Poke Bowl step 2 : Choose Your Protein
Here’s where a vegan poke bowl differs from its original recipe. Traditionally, that dish was made of raw fish. Our veganized version can contain smoked or marinated tofu, tempeh or seitan.
Vegan Poke Bowl step 3 : Choose Your Toppings
Let the fun part begin! Let your imagination run wild, there’s no limit to the flavor combinations you can create.
Pick any of the goodies in each of the category below and add it to your bowl :
Fruits : Avocado, Mango, Pineapple, Strawberry, Mandarin, Watermelon
Veggies : Cucumber, Carrot, Kale, Cabbage, Celery, Scallion, Edamame, Marinated Beets
Herbs, Spices & Nuts: Sesame Seeds, Coriander, Chili Flakes, Marinated Ginger, Coconut Flakes, Seaweed, Peanut, Pumpkin Seeds
Vegan Poke Bowl 4 : Choose Your Sauce
The type of sauce you choose will define your bowl’s character. Here are some ideas for every mood.
Easy Vegan Sauce combinations :
Spicy : Vegenaise + Sriracha Hot Sauce
Sesame : Sesame oil + Tamari + Lime Juice + Maple Syrup
Maple-Dijon : Olive Oil + Maple Syrup + Lemon Juice + Dijon Mustard
Miso : White Miso + Lemon or Orange Juice
Tahini : Tahini + Lemon Juice + Water
Peanut : Peanut Butter + Tamari + Maple Syrup + Lime Juice
I hope you have as much fun creating your vegan poke bowl as I did. If you like these kinds of quick and easy recipes, let me know in the comment box below. I’ll be more than happy to share more with you.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup romaine, chopped
- ⅓ cup edamame
- 1 small carrot, sliced (I bought a bag of pre-cut carrots to save time)
- 1 lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cubed smoked tofu (I used ½ a pack of Soyganic Smoked Tofu Original Flavour 210g)
- Marinated beets and cabbage, to taste
- Sesame seeds, to taste
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- In a bowl, add your base. The quinoa first then your romaine lettuce.
- Add your toppings : edamame, carrots, cucumber, tofu, marinated veggies and sesame seed.
- Prepare your sauce in a separate bowl by whisking the peanut butter, tamari, maple syrup and lime juice.
- Add a little bit of water to your sauce if too thick.
- Drizzle your vegan poke bowl with the sauce and serve.